Those of you who know me well know that I am a reflective and sometimes (!!!) sentimental fellow, and I am feeling in just such a mood this morning, despite the two lattes I have consumed already.
Yesterday was a lovely, but busy day, highlighted by a visit from my colleague and dear friend Jill, who brought an enormous bag and box of frozen meals that she and some of my co-workers had cooked up for us. They look amazing and are really heavy. I had to prevail on our good neighbours for extra freezer space. We are drowning in the fruits of generosity! Many many thanks to my co-workers and all contributors -- this food will be treasured and enjoyed like no other, let me assure you! And here's to neighbours with big freezers!
The rest of the day was obliterated from my memory when I saw this picture of Jennifer enjoying an ice cream on the front step with Janet and I after dinner last night...
I have to confess that I started today -- FATHER'S DAY -- by not performing very well as a father -- I slept through my 4:30AM feeding alarm. My wife came dashing into the bedroom this morning at 5:15AM, wondering if I had already fed the girls, which of course I had not. We both dashed up and got a couple of bottles of milk ready and fed them, then returned to bed. I slept fitfully until about 8:00AM, when I heard Jennifer having a chat with herself in her crib, so I decided to get up.
At that point, my darling wife had already commenced cooking up a batch of jam from rhubarb picked in our back yard, and baking up a round of breakfast scones! Coffee had already been brewed. Yum! What a great way to start a special day. It goes without saying of course but, for the record, my wife is amazing.
The table was set and I felt the gravitational pull on our constellation to sit and eat warm scones together, just when we got a call from the Community Health Nurse. Could she come over in 25 minutes and assess Emily? Suuuuurrrre. Scramble into the shower, get dressed, change a few diapers, dress Jennifer, open the windows on the cars (it's gonna be a hot one), sit Jennifer down with a scone, and just start to cut into my scone when... Ding dong!
Anyways, as the bulk of the assessment got underway, I sat with Jennifer at the table. She had coloured up a beautiful placemat for me (completely objective assessment here, of course) on behalf of her and her sisters, with Happy Father's Day wishes!
Every minute or so, she would lean conspiratorily towards me, raise her eyebrows and whisper, "I love you Daddy!" Let me tell you, it just doesn't get much better than that.
--
The rest of the day puttered along: Jennifer didn't nap (sigh)
I cuddled Emily over a bottle (hers, regrettably, not mine) and looked outside at our wonderful neighbourhood as the evening light bathed our little street with a golden glory. The only slightly melancholy note was that for reasons too complicated to explain here I was not able to get into the hospital to visit Heather today, and so missed her dearly. Janet, Caitlyn and Emily did have a nice long visit with Heather this afternoon, however, and reported her well.
Jennifer and I played a wonderful game during her bath tonight, where a facecloth played the part of a hungry, toe-nibbling purple fish. Jennifer found the toe-nibbling quite tickley, and was especially delighted when the fish breached the surface in its numerous attempts to nibble her nose. Later, we had a wonderful read, including her favourite of the moment (a marvelous find from the library), While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat, which has inspired some hilarious parroting from our little mischief maker. Heartily recommended to all, but especially the children amongst us. You know who you are.
I want to acknowledge the love and support of my wonderful father, Ross Fraser. He's a heck of a great guy any day of the week and I love him dearly, even when he's foolishly trying to give me advice (will you stop it already!). It's hard to admit, but I still learn a thing or two from the old codger. Please don't tell him.
I also want to acknowledge my great father-in-law, Bill Carr, who has been so incredibly supportive as Jan and I have expanded our clan; and not only that, think of the patience he has to summon to put up with the erratic crank of a son-in-law he got stuck with. Thanks Bill!
It was a day for feeling blessed, and how blessed from every quarter I am feeling!
I am.
Cheers,
Jeremy


No comments:
Post a Comment