The day started famously with pancakes and yogurt - a standard weekend treat, although we ran out of blueberries :-( ... Following breakfast, Papa and Jennifer did a quick turn-around and headed out to the zoo, Papa biking and Jennifer sight seeing from behind the bike in her Chariot. By all reports they had a fabulous time and all the animals were out playing.
Caitlyn and Mama did their usual morning visit to see Heather and Emily. All seemed well when we arrived however, it was not long before I learned that there had been a minor setback. Unfortunately, Heather had a significant bradycardic (low heart rate) , desat (low oxygen) and apneic spell (poor breathing). It was significant enough that poor Heather could not recover on her own and needed some help with resuscitation by using a bag-mask and oxygen to bring her back into the pink. The staff feel that this was brought on by a large spit up she had and wonder if she has some reflux. After the ordeal, Heather was quite alert and looking like nothing had occurred. The biggest concern was/is whether she might have aspirated some of the milk into her lungs...she was thoroughly examined both right after and again at least 2 times after the episode (1 hour after and again about 8 hours after). So far, she's not showing any indication of problems with aspiration but they will continue to keep a close eye on her. So - all of this has bought Heather at least 5 more days in hospital.
Emily seemed oblivious to all the goings on and was quite content that regardless of where they are (home or hospital), she can continue to suck on Heather's head, or nose or put her fist in Heather's eye. Emily was very alert today during our visit and upon hearing my voice and getting placed in my arms her eyes went the size of saucers. She is a lovely girl, has the sweetest face and, I think, a rather mischievous demeanor...time will tell.
Caitlyn enjoyed her visit and once again, resumed her "best sleep of the day" pose. She gained some great weight and is now showing at a hefty 5 lbs 11oz!! I had all three girls on my lap today and I actually felt like these girls are getting heavy!! Anyway, Caitlyn also enjoyed another great walk, with her big sister steering the stroller...Jennifer, upon arriving at the park, announced to me that Caitlyn could stay "right here" (while we played on the slides etc.)and that "no one will take her Mommy". It's great to know that someone is looking out for these babies - I guess I can relax now!
Once again, I find myself apologizing for the lack of photos...I will endeavour to take some tomorrow!
So, sleep well -- goodnight
Jan
No comments:
Post a Comment