The day began as all others....sleepy and slow.
Caitlyn and I once again made our daily jaunt to the hospital. On our way out the door this morning, Jennifer insisted on saying goodbye to us at the door. She stood at the screen door and, as I drove by, we waved and kissed to each other. Of course, I was oblivious to anything that happened after that as I had, by then, drove away. Jennifer however, interpreted our parting as me "leaving" her and was very distraught, reportedly calling out "Mama!" and announced to her Papa quite matter of factly that "Mama left me". It took time and a Papa's touch - however she was eventually consoled.
It has been quite a learning curve for me and Jeremy to witness transition through the eyes of a 2 year old. She has, and will continue, to experience a lot of change in her small world and it's these moments when her concrete interpretation of the changes (Mama left me) forces me to realise that we need to slow down and take things at her pace, with her. Jer has done an amazing job this week of spending some great quality time with Jennifer - walking, biking, playing, tickling - the enjoyment for both can easily be measured by the "giggle-meter" which is always wiggling wildly! She and I also had some great time together this afternoon as we ventured out to go on a rabbit "hunt"...we were rewarded with many sightings and came back with Jennifer's confidence restored that, in fact, her Mama did not leave her!
The babies had a great day today as well - Grandma Pat was visiting Calgary this week and was able to come by and cuddle the girls at the hospital. Being a retired Pediatric nurse, she rose to the challenge and took both Emily and Heather in her arms - they of course were tickled and Grandma Pat seemed to enjoy the experience too. With three mouths to feed, we got down to business. I fed Caitlyn first and then, moved on to Emily. Grandma Pat had Heather and we worked with the girls to drink their milk using the new bottles/nipples I bought yesterday. Both girls did well, however, their limited energy is still a significant factor. Still, every day is a small step forward and one foot closer to coming home.
Caitlyn got a "free" check-up today as she was mistaken for Heather lying in the crib and was given a full assessment by the Nurse Practitioner - I'm happy to report that Caitlyn passed her assessment with flying colours and Heather too was eventually assessed and showed famously. Nothing of note to share today, all is well.
Sorry for the lack of photos...I forgot the camera today...
Anyway, thanks for continuing to check in on us and the ongoing support.
Cheers for now...
Jan
--
No comments:
Post a Comment