What I learned this evening is that having a melt-down in front of the entire medical team of doctors and nurses, although quite embarrassing, can in fact be quite liberating....they want to give you more information so that you can understand what they are thinking and planning, in hopes, I'm sure at least in part, that you stop crying. This as opposed to pre-meltdown in which you feel completely in the dark and no one tells you anything.....
Ahhhh...
Should I start with the good news or bad news....well, news is all relative I guess, depending on who is reading it. Overall, I think I can say the girls all had a great day - Emily and Caitlyn were full of vim and vigor, kicking and sucking and squirming like they are meant to. Heather, although slow to start, also showed increased signs of energy kicking her blanket off numerous times and moving around increasingly into the afternoon hours. I left the hospital this afternoon feeling elevated and full of increased hope that we have seen the worst of this infection.
On my nightly return to say goodnight and have one last look in on the girls I was met by one of the nurses asking - "oh, did anyone call you at home?".... Of course, my mind was racing, and no, we had not received a call to let us know that the girls are now on isolation - which means when we want to touch or hold them we need to put on a full length gown, a mask and gloves - not exactly very nurturing... All this because of the now confirmed suspicion that they have a viral infection. In addition, they all were subject to yet another poke in the back to take some fluid from their spine to test for yet more infections. All this to 3 little girls who really should not even be born yet.....who said the early bird gets the worm? These are rotten worms these girls are getting...
So, sadly, all of their vim and vigor was taken up with all of the pokes and prodding that occurred in the short time I was home for dinner. Tonight, all three are exhausted. Hopefully, we will gain greater insight tomorrow into exactly what has caused so much difficulty -- or at least once the results of the spinal cultures come back.
What I know is that this is only a fraction of the worry that both Jeremy and I will have as we continue our venture into parenting four girls....we better brace ourselves for what is yet to come.
good night - sleep well, I know I will.
Jan
Up until now you have no doubt been a model of restraint and reason. Good for you to show some spunk...just like your little girls.
ReplyDelete