Not much has changed here at baby boot camp - we've got a pretty good routine down but the pace, at times, is gruelling. There seems to be a theme emerging here... and it's building -- fatigue anyone?
Every night, or should I say early morning, I have the same recurring dream/nightmare/experience: I am woken out of a deep sleep around 4am by a significant panic (okay this is a slight exaggeration, not so much a panic as a worry), that I have forgotten to feed the babies or, a small variant, that I specifically forgot to feed Heather, at the 1:30am (2 and 2:30 respectively) feeding time(s). It takes me several seconds, which seem like hours, to recover a vague memory of me actually feeding all of the girls just an hour or two before. This thought is challenged by my sleep deprived brain; in fact, it is not this night but the previous night that I recalled, and I am forced to go through my memory again to confirm/deny the thought. By the time I settle on the fact that I had indeed fed all of the girls, my adrenaline is racing and I have to calm myself back to sleep, only to be interrupted by Jer coming into the room at 4:30 (or sometimes 5:30 if he sleeps through the alarm) to feed the girls again. As night schedules go, it's really not bad: I feel very lucky that Jer is home to take on one of the night feeds. Most of the moms I know don't have this "luxury." My hat goes off to all of the multiple parents out there who have fed their kids solo, without partner support.
So, despite its occasionally gruelling nature, the routine is pretty good. Jer and I have managed to stay very supportive of each other and still enjoy each other's company. The challenge is not so much staying supportive of each other, it's staying supportive and having a sense of humour, compassion, patience, and acceptance in the face of, at times, unruly chaos, on top of sleep deprivation!
We are due for another weigh-in next week. The babies are all "chubbing" up very nicely, and I am confident that all will be well into the 10 lbs, but I'm wondering if they might actually be up to 11lbs....time will tell.
Heather has overcome whatever little ailment she had - she developed a rash and what seemed like a sore throat a while ago, but she has bounced back nicely now. The other two are doing well also. The evening fussiness...well, it seems to be decreasing very nicely. The babies are all coming into their own - each with a unique social smile and the occasional giggles.
Jennifer continues to delight in her sisters and is eager to please them all by rubbing, burping, feeding (really Mama and Papa are doing this), and reading to her sisters. She and I, along with Caitlyn, had a lovely day at the zoo yesterday morning. We all had a fantastic time and Jennifer was able to "show off" her baby to baby "Sophie" giraffe, whom she considers a great friend and confidant.
Enough blather....here's what you've all been waiting for....enjoy!
Emily and Caitlyn
You may notice that Emily has a small birthmark (called a hemangioma) on her right hand. This will likely disappear by the time she is 4-5 years old.
Heather, Emily and Caitlyn just back from a walk
Heather and Caitlyn cuddling....
....and enjoying a laugh together.
Who said "Sleeping Beauty" was only a fairy tale....?
....and who said there was only one "Sleeping Beauty?"
Cailtyn, Heather and Emily...ready for a Chariot walk...
![]() |
Jennifer bathing Heather...at least helping!
Cheers,
Jan
Jan








Oh man... I remember that sleeplessness and I only had two babies. I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking I heard a baby cry and my heart would start racing. And then I realized it was just my imagination and couldn't go back to sleep because I was hopped up on adrenaline. I promise you... all my triplet mom friends say it gets SO much easier after a year. You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeletesuch awesome pictures!
ReplyDeletethe babies are chubbing up nicely indeed, and their faces already so expressive too.